Carmel City Court Brian G. Poindexter was selected to participate in The International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) which is the U.S. Department of State’s premier professional exchange program.
On March 28, 2011 Judges from Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, West Bank of Palestine, and one Member of Parliament from Jordan visited with Judge Poindexter in Carmel City Court. The objectives of the project are:
• To familiarize participants with the principles of judicial independence, the Federal court system, and the structure of state and municipal courts;
• To underscore the judiciary’s role in preserving and strengthening democratic concepts such as government accountability and individual rights;
• To discuss court and case management advanced legal education, the criminal justice system, and law enforcement in the U.S.;
• To promote understanding of current trends in the administration of courts in the U.S.; and
• To examine various forms of dispute resolution.
Judge Poindexter was impressed by how eager the visiting Judges were to learn about our system of justice. A wide variety of topics were covered during the meeting. Judge Poindexter has participated in previous programs that involved visiting judges from Russia, China, and the Ukraine.
International Visitors travel to the U.S. for carefully designed programs that reflect their professional interests and U.S. foreign policy goals. Visitors also share their culture and offer insight on best practices and perspectives with their American hosts.